Website Facebook Twitter Instagram Email Image Map

Thursday 4 April 2013

Photographer of the week - Thomas Davies






Model : Georgia  

Why did you become a photographer? 
I remember first picking up a camera when I was a child just to see how it worked, I still don't quite understand, and this fascinates me. I love the analogue process and its connotations to the past. Photography for me is an outlet for my creativity, allowing me to collect observations, preserve memories and construct something totally new. The collaboration between stylists and working with other creative’s can be challenging but ultimately rewarding, inspiring me to pursue a career in fashion.

What/who is your inspiration?
Fashion editorials and music video's offer a constant source of inspiration. I honestly love the raw and intimate diacritic photos of Nan Golding and Larry Clark, this style of aesthetic in a fashion context inspire my own work most. Some of my absolute favourites are Juergen Teller and the late Corrine Day. 90's fashion spreads and that era in general.

The best thing you have photographed?
I think being caught up in the student riots in London was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. Photographing the people and documenting the spontaneous events as they unfolded that day at the Millbank Tower was extremely exciting, and I truly felt the relevance and validity of documenting an event. On the other end of the spectrum, I recently shot a menswear editorial under a recent landslide on the white cliffs of Dover, a rock nearly hit me on the day but the landscape looked incredible.

Any exciting work coming up?   
I'm currently focusing on creating a body of work for a Zine I'm creating which culminates around themes of men and masculinity, it's an exciting and personal project, and it should be sent to print by the end of this month.

www.tommydavies.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment


AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...